Student friendly and Parent Friendly
Since its inception, focus of KIIT has been on student centric governance system. Entire system and structure of KIIT has evolved around this focus. The students are highly satisfied and disciplined due to its student friendly policies. Every staff of KIIT, from top to bottom, interacts with students and takes care of their concern in most friendly manner.
KIIT University is one of the early adopters of Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) in the country, as per the University Grants Commission (UGC) guidelines. It provides choice for students to select courses of their own choice – core, elective and minor – based on their interest, aptitude and career goals. Besides a wide range of courses to choose from, it ensures a holistic learning experience for the students.
KIIT has a ‘Tutor-Mentor Programme‘, in which a teacher is placed as a mentor of a small group of students, enhances the all round development of the students by ensuring an appropriate classroom environment, broadening curriculum participation and strengthening the bond between the students and the teachers. Mentors provide emotional as well as academic support, guidance, motivation, pose themselves as ideal role models for the mentees and also help them in their career growth.
Focus on Research and Development
KIIT is committed to high-quality research and provides outstanding facilities and a supportive environment for our academics and students. KIIT’s research portfolio extends across many different areas including, but not limited to, biotechnology, medicine; rural management; physical activity and nutrition; education; and social and mental health.
KIIT has placed much emphasis on creating enabling infrastructure and facilities for advanced research in diverse areas such as
- Centre for advanced research has been set up with 1 lakh sqm built up area
- Setting up of new advanced laboratories and up-gradation of existing labs in each department
- Centres of excellence have been established in collaboration with industry
- Adequate technical personnel for caring and maintenance of laboratories and its advanced equipments
- Research groups of scholars and faculty members are formed in emerging areas and encouraged to apply for grant to National and International funding agencies
- Special seminars and workshops are organised in the emerging disciplines
- Senior faculty members with experience in emerging disciplines are regularly recruited
- 24X7 library and laboratories facilities are available
Faculty Research and Publications
Research accomplishments of the faculty and students demonstrate the positive impact of KIIT’s focus on research and innovation. Faculty members of the University are actively involved in research and consultancy works attracting financial support to the tune of a few million dollars every year. Currently nearly 100 research and consultancy projects funded by various national and international funding agencies like UBS Promedica Foundation, Switzerland; Karolinska Institute, Sweden; DST, DBT, MNRE, Govt. of India, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, etc. are ongoing with substantial budget outlay.
Faculty members and research scholars of the University have published more than 8200 research papers in various national and international journals of repute. It is creditable that out of them around 2241 publications have been indexed in international databases like Scopus.
The research papers have received a high citation of around 8000, pushing up the ‘h’ index to 36.The number of patents filed has risen to 32. Numerous research papers authored by students have also been published in reputed national and international journals. The faculty members have also published around 110 books and several book reviews.
Faculty & Students Projects
The Institute has expertise in various research areas to provide knowledge and intellectual inputs which are of interest to the industry and other organizations. Broad Areas of consultancy services are:
- Construction Engineering
- Structural Designing
- Soil testing
- Software development
- Mechanical and automobile Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Management Development Programmes
- Legal Consultancy on IPR, criminal law and cyber law
- Legal Aid
- SAP ABAP training and Certification
KIIT actively promotes students research and projects of its students have been appreciated at national and international forum, including being selected for the prestigious Indian Science Congress. In recent years, students’ team of KIIT have emerged as a strong contender in the prestigious automobile design competitions, like BAJA SAE, aeronautical design competitions, like Aero Design West, Robotics, Civil, Electrical and Computer Science innovation events.
Several Centres of Excellence have been established in collaboration with industry. They provide ideal platforms for conducting collaborative research and development work with several partnering agencies and institutions around the world. These are
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
KIIT actively promotes entrepreneurship among its students and youths at large. An Entrepreneurship Cell has been set up to provide guidance and resources to the students with interest and aptitude. As a result, KIIT students have good track record of entrepreneurial success. Similarly, KIIT Technology Business Incubator (TBI) offers incubation facilities for new ideas through various stages of entrepreneurial development. About 35 enterprises have successfully graduated from KIIT-TBI, while many others are in the process. KIIT-TBI is supported by DST and various other bodies of Govt. of India.
KIIT Technology Business Incubator (KIIT-TBI started in 2009 as an initiative of Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) Deemed to be University and supported by National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), Dept. of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India is a registered Not for Profit Section (25) Company.
Since its inception, KIIT – TBI has provided a vibrant ecosystem for promoting innovations and entrepreneurship development. Having established as a premier university based incubation centre, KIIT – TBI has expanded its verticals in health care, Life sciences and social incubation. The status as an emerging social innovation hub in the country is reinforced by DFID INVENT seed fund.
KIIT – TBI is a member of Asia Pacific Incubation Network (APIN) and Indian STEPs and Business Incubator’s association (ISBA) and recognised as scientific and industrial research organization by DSIR.
It is the epicentre for technology startups and entrepreneurs in the eastern and northeast region.
At KIIT, we pride ourselves on providing not only the highest standards in academics, but helping shape the character of our students. Our philosophy of life-long learning encompasses the continual personal growth of our students by emphasizing the importance of community involvement and volunteerism.
- Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS), a sister institute of the KIIT University provides free education, boarding and lodging to tribal students below poverty line. Students pursuing other academic programs at the KIIT University are trained and exposed to the social services and commitment towards upliftment of socially challenged people at the KISS.
- The University conducts DST-INSPIRE camps to promote science education among school children (XIth and XIIth Std).
- The University conducts several SC-ST program in various technology-based programs supported by NSTEDB, DST, Govt. of India for rural community.
Biogas-Development Training Centre a flagship program of MNRE, Govt. of India, conducts training programs to use biogas plants. The centre has converted more than 100 biogas plants in Odisha from non-functional to functional.
School wise Outreach Programme
- School of Biotechnology in collaboration with the School of Rural Management has developed a rural health research centre at Chikiti, Ganjam. It has brought several ICT platforms and diagnostic technologies for rural masses. Two KIIT Rural Dispensaries are also operational in Kalarabanka and Aska
- School of Medical Sciences has dispensaries in 13 districts of Odisha
- School of Medical and Dental Sciences organize health care and dental camps in rural areas and provide free checkup and treatment
- Schools of Rural Management and Biotechnology are working in close collaboration with Chilika Development Authority, Govt. of Odisha for the holistic development of Chilika Lake and its community
KIIT students got the licence to organise TEDx for KIIT in 2015. It was the first of its kind to be hosted by a technical university in Odisha. TEDX is a spin off conference of independent talks of technology demonstrations, art performances, research lectures and world changing ideas that are organized locally by the volunteers, free of any commercial, religious or political agenda.
A SPICMACAY chapter was formed at KIIT in May, 2003. The chapter has been successful in introducing some of the most renowned Indian classical musicians like Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Pt. Mukul Shivputra and Ileana Citristi to the KIIT community. These concerts are free and open to all and have served to spread awareness about rich cultural heritage of India among a varied audience.
Senior Division NCC (Army) is functioning in the University. Students of any wing can take part after going through the selection process. The total strength of the cadets is 50.
Two units of NSS, one for boys and one for girls with 500 students in each, are functioning in the University. The main aims and objectives of NSS units are to involve the youth in constructive and developmental programmes in rural society. This fosters national integration through community living and co-operative action. Annually a Chancellor’s trophy is awarded to the best performing student in the respective field.
NSS activities with strength of 500 volunteers are functional in the University with the approval of the Govt. of Odisha.
Youth Red Cross is a volunteer driven society aiming to create awareness on the care of their own health and that of others.