STUDENTS’ COUNSELLING CELL
Purpose: The Students’ Counseling Cell will provide continuous support to the students in two broad domains:
(A) Participation in international academic and personality development programmes
(B) Improving emotional and social state of individuals
A: Participation in international academic and personality development activities:
These events may broadly be seen as Graduate assistance-ship Internship counseling Post graduate Studies Cultural Exchange programs
B: Improving emotional and social state of individuals. The Cell will engage in providing following counseling through identified experts. Individual development counseling Clinical mental health counseling Family counseling Addictions counseling
For the activities mentioned in Group A, the Cell shall collect requisite information and notify the students. The Cell also proposes the Unit heads to nominate a member of the faculty who can extend help in collecting information. The Cell will notify the available information twice in each month. The Cell will arrange counseling to desirous students at venue to be allocated by the School authorities.
For the activities mentioned in Group B, the information from tutor mentors and students (to be nominated from the School) will be used to identify the students seeking counseling. The Counseling cell will contact and invite experts in the essential areas as required. The Cell with support from the School will arrange periodic counseling.
KIIT University is a premier organisation imparting high quality, value based education of international standards. It envisions to produce leaders out of students who excel in their respective fields. The 23 World Class Campuses has about 1800 faculties & researchers and about 27,000 students in different vocational studies.
The KIIT Counselling Cell was formed with an intention to impart guidance to the students in furthering their career and at the same time making then psychologically strong to handle the stresses of a successful career. Counselling is a guidance programme intended for students in different situations for different services in the areas of career and attaining psychological competency.
Aim of Counselling:
- To guide the students in areas of Academic and Profession.
- To attain a disciplined, healthy life where the student is able to compete at all levels
Types: Interaction will be done at different levels:
- Face-to-face meeting: The counsellor and the counselee will meet according to a fixed schedule, say once a week and discuss issues or anytime in emergency situations.
- Group meeting: A group meeting brings the counsellor and a group of students to discuss important issues.
- Specific issues: The KIIT Counselling Cell will facilitate the resolution of specific issues by arranging for expert consultation for Career or for any psychological crisis.
Group meetings will be done at specific intervals at all the 18 campuses identified. Those who want a personal consultation will consulted by Faculty Counsellors. Any specific problems that needs to be addressed specifically, will be referred to experts in the issue concerned.
Who will counsel:
The Structure of KIIT University Counselling Services include:
- KIIT Counselling Cell: responsible for the setting up and the coordination od the activities of KIIT University Counselling Services
- Faculty Counsellors: They will be responsible for active involvement with the students and identify issues among the students and facilitate early resolution.
- Student co-ordinators: They will put forwards the issues from the perspective of the students. They will ensure the participation of the students in the processes voluntarily. Working as gatekeepers, they can identify problems in students and suggest them to take the help of the Counselling Services whenever needed.
Process and steps:
A student seeking any information or guidance in any issue, academic or psychological may approach the student facilitators or the faculty counsellor. If the issue needs any expert consultation, it can be appropriately referred. This is a voluntary service.
Liaison with the mentor-mentee system:
The mentor mentee system is already existing in KIIT University. It works with the aim that each student is individually taken care of. KIIT Counselling Services complements this system by being accessible to students at all times in different settings and to operate at a group level, wherein the students are able to identify and suggest solutions.
Training the counsellors:
Faculty Counsellors and student co-ordinators will be trained to better manage the issues arising in the students. They will be trained to:
1.Identify the students who will need support and guidance.
2.Address them in a concerned and empathetic way.
3.Help the student to have a self-direction and self-realization of his problems and their solutions.
4.For a trusting relationship with the students.
5.To become a bridge between the management and the students thereby managing issues amicably
- Meetings with Faculty Counsellors, student co-ordinators and student groups will be done at regular intervals at the respective campuses.
- Group activities like skip play, motivational talks etc. will be conducted at the respective schools to encourage career-oriented study and healthy lifestyle.
- Training programs for the Faculty Counsellors and Student Co-Ordinators will be done in the form of Seminars and workshops.
- The individual efforts of Faculty Counsellors and Student Co-Ordinators will be appreciated through certificates and recognitions.
Need and Importance of Counselling Service:
Students experience a number of problems during their academic course, relating to his adjustment, educational choice and occupational choice etc. But most of their problems are of personal-social in nature.
These personal-social and academic-psychological challenges are as follows:
- Disinterest in the course subject.
- Preparing for the examination and exam stress
- Continuous absence from school.
- Dropping out of the school.
- Problems relating under achievement.
- Planning for the future.
- Improper study habits.
- Difficulty in making and keeping friends or getting along with one’s peers
- Feelings of inferiority.
- Problems relating to use of leisure time.
- In adequate participation or over involvement in school activities.
- Problems relating to love affairs.
- Behavioural issues and smoking, alcohol and drugs.
Students need counselling services for the purpose to know how they should deal with or tackle the problems they are facing in their daily life situations. Sometimes a student is unaware that he has a problem. Unless he is made aware of his problems he can’t be helped in his development. For this he requires counselling to develop insight into his problems.
Besides, it has been observed that a student needs a sympathetic person to whom he can talk about his personal problems, a person who can give a patient hearing to his problems and assist him to solve his problems. The counselling session provides this opportunity to the pupils to talk about his problems and develop insight into the possible solutions to his problems.
A Students’ Counseling Cell has been constituted on dated 25.06.18 vide letter no KIIT/HR/554/18.
The Cell has formulated a set of objectives and activities to make it effective and operational. We would like to share this information and receive your opinions for strengthening the counseling activities. In this context I am forwarding a schedule for various schools (you may suggest time suitable to your convenience). Prior to this, we are expecting views from Directors/Deans, Associate Deans. It is a request to nominate two/three Faculty in charge Students Affair, Tutor mentors and three to four students based on their communication skills and interpersonal skills in the meantime. The schedule will commence from 30.07.18
The Cell with support from the Schools will arrange periodic counseling as per the Schedule mentioned below–
|Days||Time (11.00am-1.00pm)||Time (4.00pm-6.00pm)|
|Monday||School Fashion/Film||School of Comp.Application|
|Tuesday||School of Law||School Biotechnology|
|Wednesday||School of Computer Engineering/KIDS||School of Architecture/School of Rural management|
|Thursday||School of Electrical Engineering/ School of Civil Engineering.||School of Management|
|Friday||School of Electronics Engineering.||School of Mechanical Engineering|
|Saturday||KIMS/KINS/Inst.of Public Health|