Several Centres of Excellence have been established in collaboration with industry. They provide ideal platforms for conducting collaborative research and development work with several partnering agencies and institutions around the world. These are
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
KIIT actively promotes entrepreneurship among its students and youths at large. An Entrepreneurship Cell has been set up to provide guidance and resources to the students with interest and aptitude. As a result, KIIT students have good track record of entrepreneurial success. Similarly, KIIT Technology Business Incubator (TBI) offers incubation facilities for new ideas through various stages of entrepreneurial development. About 35 enterprises have successfully graduated from KIIT-TBI, while many others are in the process. KIIT-TBI is supported by DST and various other bodies of Govt. of India.
KIIT Technology Business Incubator (KIIT-TBI started in 2009 as an initiative of Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) Deemed to be University and supported by National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), Dept. of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India is a registered Not for Profit Section (25) Company.
Since its inception, KIIT – TBI has provided a vibrant ecosystem for promoting innovations and entrepreneurship development. Having established as a premier university based incubation centre, KIIT – TBI has expanded its verticals in health care, Life sciences and social incubation. The status as an emerging social innovation hub in the country is reinforced by DFID INVENT seed fund.
KIIT – TBI is a member of Asia Pacific Incubation Network (APIN) and Indian STEPs and Business Incubator’s association (ISBA) and recognised as scientific and industrial research organization by DSIR.
It is the epicentre for technology startups and entrepreneurs in the eastern and northeast region.
At KIIT, we pride ourselves on providing not only the highest standards in academics, but helping shape the character of our students. Our philosophy of life-long learning encompasses the continual personal growth of our students by emphasizing the importance of community involvement and volunteerism.
- Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS), a sister institute of the KIIT University provides free education, boarding and lodging to tribal students below poverty line. Students pursuing other academic programs at the KIIT University are trained and exposed to the social services and commitment towards upliftment of socially challenged people at the KISS.
- The University conducts DST-INSPIRE camps to promote science education among school children (XIth and XIIth Std).
- The University conducts several SC-ST program in various technology-based programs supported by NSTEDB, DST, Govt. of India for rural community.
Biogas-Development Training Centre a flagship program of MNRE, Govt. of India, conducts training programs to use biogas plants. The centre has converted more than 100 biogas plants in Odisha from non-functional to functional.
KIIT students got the licence to organise TEDx for KIIT in 2015. It was the first of its kind to be hosted by a technical university in Odisha. TEDX is a spin off conference of independent talks of technology demonstrations, art performances, research lectures and world changing ideas that are organized locally by the volunteers, free of any commercial, religious or political agenda.
A SPICMACAY chapter was formed at KIIT in May, 2003. The chapter has been successful in introducing some of the most renowned Indian classical musicians like Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Pt. Mukul Shivputra and Ileana Citristi to the KIIT community. These concerts are free and open to all and have served to spread awareness about rich cultural heritage of India among a varied audience.
Senior Division NCC (Army) is functioning in the University. Students of any wing can take part after going through the selection process. The total strength of the cadets is 50.
Two units of NSS, one for boys and one for girls with 500 students in each, are functioning in the University. The main aims and objectives of NSS units are to involve the youth in constructive and developmental programmes in rural society. This fosters national integration through community living and co-operative action. Annually a Chancellor’s trophy is awarded to the best performing student in the respective field.
NSS activities with strength of 500 volunteers are functional in the University with the approval of the Govt. of Odisha.
Youth Red Cross is a volunteer driven society aiming to create awareness on the care of their own health and that of others.
School wise Outreach Programme
- School of Biotechnology in collaboration with the School of Rural Management has developed a rural health research centre at Chikiti, Ganjam. It has brought several ICT platforms and diagnostic technologies for rural masses. Two KIIT Rural Dispensaries are also operational in Kalarabanka and Aska
- School of Medical Sciences has dispensaries in 13 districts of Odisha
- School of Medical and Dental Sciences organize health care and dental camps in rural areas and provide free checkup and treatment
- Schools of Rural Management and Biotechnology are working in close collaboration with Chilika Development Authority, Govt. of Odisha for the holistic development of Chilika Lake and its community