Focus on Research and Development
KIIT is committed to high-quality research and provides outstanding facilities and a supportive environment for our academics and students. KIIT’s research portfolio extends across many different areas including, but not limited to, biotechnology, medicine; rural management; physical activity and nutrition; education; and social and mental health.
KIIT has placed much emphasis on creating enabling infrastructure and facilities for advanced research in diverse areas such as
- Centre for advanced research has been set up with 1 lakh sqm built up area
- Setting up of new advanced laboratories and up-gradation of existing labs in each department
- Centres of excellence have been established in collaboration with industry
- Adequate technical personnel for caring and maintenance of laboratories and its advanced equipments
- Research groups of scholars and faculty members are formed in emerging areas and encouraged to apply for grant to National and International funding agencies
- Special seminars and workshops are organised in the emerging disciplines
- Senior faculty members with experience in emerging disciplines are regularly recruited
- 24X7 library and laboratories facilities are available
Research Innovation & Funded Projects
The Institute has expertise in various research areas to provide knowledge and intellectual inputs which are of interest to the industry and other organizations. Broad Areas of consultancy services are:
- Construction Engineering
- Structural Designing
- Soil testing
- Software development
- Mechanical and automobile Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Management Development Programmes
- Legal Consultancy on IPR, criminal law and cyber law
- Legal Aid
- SAP ABAP training and Certification
Research and innovation are important hallmarks of a worldclass university. KIIT has placed much emphasis on creating enabling infrastructure and facilities for advanced research in diverse areas. It has set up a Centre for Scientific Research with seed money of US$ 1.2 million, the only private University in the country to establish such a centre. It has also established a state-of-the-art Central Advanced Research Centre (CARC) on 1.2 lakh sq. ft. built up area for multidisciplinary research. Apart from these sophisticated central research facilities, specialized laboratories have been established – some in collaboration with the industry and corporate bodies – in various schools. They provide ideal platforms for conducting collaborative research and development work with several partnering agencies and institutions around the world. To promote innovation and startup entrepreneurship among students as well as in wider society, KIIT opened KIIT Technology Business Incubator (KIIT-TBI) in 2008. One of its kind initiative in Odisha and among only 60-odd in the country, KIIT-TBI is supported by Department of Science & Research & Innovation Development Board (NSTEDB), and scores of other agencies. KIIT-TBI has so far incubated over numerous business entities out of which 34 have graduated out to set up full-scale commercial enterprises.
R & D and Consultancy
Research & Development and consultancy are hallmarks of a world-class university.
KIIT has placed much emphasis on creating enabling infrastructure and facilities for advanced research in diverse areas. It has set up a Centre for Scientific Research with seed money of US$ 1.2 million, the only private University in the country to establish such a centre. KIIT has also established a state-of-the-art Central Advanced Research Centre (CARC) on 1.2 lakh sq. ft. built up area for multidisciplinary research.
Several Centres of Excellence have been established in collaboration with industry. ISRO-KIIT Satellite Centre, NI Centre of Excellence, Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Materials and Nano Sciences and IOT Centre of Excellence are among more than 18 such centres functioning in KIIT.
In addition, specialized School-level laboratories, such as SKF-KIIT Advanced Reliability Centre, Green Engine Technology Centre, Thin Film Photovoltaic Lab, High Frequency Simulation & Fabrication lab, etc., greatly augment research activity at KIIT. They provide ideal platforms for conducting collaborative research and development work with several partnering agencies and institutions around the world.
Research accomplishments of the faculty and students demonstrate the positive impact of KIIT’s focus on research and innovation. Faculty members of the University are actively involved in research and consultancy works attracting financial support to the tune of a few million dollars every year. Currently nearly 100 research and consultancy projects funded by various national and international funding agencies like UBS Promedica Foundation, Switzerland; Karolinska Institute, Sweden; DST, DBT, MNRE, Govt. of India, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, etc. are ongoing with substantial budget outlay.
KIIT actively promotes students research and projects of its students have been appreciated at national and international forum, including being selected for the prestigious Indian Science Congress. In recent years, students’ team of KIIT have emerged as a strong contender in the prestigious automobile design competitions, like BAJA SAE, aeronautical design competitions, like Aero Design West, Robotics, Civil, Electrical and Computer Science innovation events.
KIIT Research & Collaborations
- UBS Optimus Foundation, Zurich, Switzerland
- Ministry of Steel, Govt. of India
- DST, (SERC) New Delhi, India
- DST, Women Scientist Project, India
- University Grants Commision
- DST, Research Grant Foundation, India
- DBT-SDC, ISCB Indo-Swiss Collaboration
- DST-FIST, New Delhi, India
- District Managing Committees
- Department of Atomic Energy
- AICTE (MODROB)
- UGS-DAE, Kolkata
- District Managing Committee
- UNDP, Bhubaneswar
- IICD, Jaipur
- Kochi Refinery
- Council for Advancement of People’s Action & Rural Technology (CAPART)
- UNEP (Programme for Environment)
- Coir Board of India
- UGC-Major-Research Project